Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Do or do not. There is no try.

Said the wise old Master to his young Padawan.

This quote sank into my bones back in the '9os, when the extended, re-edited versions of the original trilogy (A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back & Return Of The Jedi) was released in preparation for Episode I.

Luke was training to be a Jedi knight under Master Yoda's guidance in the swamp planet Dagobah and one of his challenges was to lift his fallen X-wing fighter from the bracken waters onto dry land with only his mind. Of course the unbelieving youngling from Tatooine objected, saying that lifting rocks is different from lifting an entire fighter plane. Yoda insists it is no different, that it uses the same force and that the only factor limiting his student is his own mind. Luke answers with a sigh, "Alright. I'll try."

And to that, Yoda declares, "No. Do or do not. There is no try."

Nothing is accomplished by the halfhearted. It's either you're all in or you're not. Whether its a task, a goal or a target, so long as you believe in it, seeing it thru to the end should be easy. Belief and action shouldn't ever be shoved down another's throat. The original idea may not have necessarily come from you but your acceptance of the idea as true and worthy of accomplishment matters more than its origin.

I've long been a believer of Yoda's words of wisdom. I guess its partly why I have this tendency to act on things irrationally. No, I'm not justifying. Not trying to defend myself here. More of moving myself to action, to finally start getting myself out of this rut I've somehow managed to get into again.

I do or I do not. Black or white. No to the half-baked whatnots and indecisive hullabaloos.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Enough about me. Let's talk about you for a minute. :)