Sunday, February 20, 2011

I take my TV time seriously

... and I mean that to be VERY seriously.

I find that a quiet respite and solace overcomes me when the buzz of the boob tube goes on and on and on. Even though most of the blah-blah-blahs that flow out of the TV are nonsense (hey, it's just like this blog o' mine!), I'm actually fortunate enough to find shiny bits of treasure every so often in the stream.

Like this morning, as I was relishing in my weekly marathon of Season 1 Drop Dead Diva episodes, a happy tidbit falls into my lap.

In a reply to Greyson's thought that "You are what you eat is the same thing as I am where I live, and I am who I was when I lived with Deb, then who am I now?" Deb (now in Jane's average American-woman sized body) states her own theory: "I am who I am and that's all I am. It doesn't matter what you eat, where you live or what you do. You are who you are and that's always changing."

I especially liked the it-doesn't-matter-what-you-do part because it rings so true my current outlook in life. I've written about it before: Why does every small talk have to start with the question, "So, what do you do for a living?"

If we tweaked that a bit into "So, what do you do to live?" we would get a much more interesting, honest and revealing answer. To that I would reply: I write to live, I read to live. I eat what I want to eat when I want to eat it to live. I run for hours on end to live. I deal with the pain that comes after running for hours on end to live. I hug my Belle, Bubu and Brandy and kiss their noses every morning to live. I watch endless TV and pick up little useless whatnots like this to live. I do all these because these are the very things that make me who I am and make me feel alive.

Let's stop asking the silly, mundane questions that literally shed zero light on the magic behind the humanity. I am who I am, and I dare be the person I want to be. This is who I am now and even though I can't pinpoint exactly what it is, I know it's different from who I was a few years ago. I find comfort in the thought that I am who I want to be today, and if that changes a bit with time, experience and knowledge, then so be it.

Take your TV time seriously, too. I highly recommend it, as it's most often much better (and cheaper) that retail therapy.

Oh, by the way, what do you do to live? :)

1 comment:

  1. PROFOUND... Profound... I'll have also what your drinking Tippie. Nice :)

    ReplyDelete

Enough about me. Let's talk about you for a minute. :)