Friday, February 10, 2012

Seuss!

My dear friend, Billy Jane, inspired me to start this a new book collection. She recently wrote about adding a few pre-loved Eloise's to her growing treasure trove, and it got me wanting to build my own: made up of Dr. Seuss children's books!

I've long been a fan of Dr. Seuss.Back in grade school, I used to "steal" the giant Seuss books from the library. "Stealing" meant borrowing them in the first quarter and returning them in the fourth, when my parents were finally notified of my overdue books. Yes... that was me breaking the law. Life was full of excitement back then, wasn't it? :|

Going back to Seuss... recent trips to the bookstores have led my feet to the kids' sections, idly browsing the on-so-many wonderous works of Sir Theodor Seuss Geisel. They've appreciated so much though; now a 40-pager pretty would pop you back 500 bucks from NBS. So like Billy Jane, my hunt shall strictly be for those pre-loved. And I plan to start my collection with these 3 titles:
It's pretty easy to get why I chose these to begin with, with a bit of google search. But okay, here we go... 

Did I Ever Tell You How Lucky You Are? (c.1973) teaches how we can always choose to see life as half full. Without being an irritating optimist, Seuss is able to concisely illustrate how life serves us ups and downs with every turn of the page, and how, if you take all things into consideration, really just how lucky you are. 

I Had Trouble In Getting To Solla Sollew (c. 1965) tells the story of a journey, how it's riddled with bumps and tonks and all sorts of wonks (ah yes, the rhyming has begun) and just how important these humps along the way actually are. It's the kid's version of the Aerosmith's "Life's a journey, not a destination." 

One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish (c.1960) ... is a counting book. A counting book with fish. This was how I learned the basics of math. I'm drawn to it for obvious reasons.

So there. Seuss' got plenty more books with so many more golden nuggets in 'em, and I honestly cannot wait to start loading them up in my library. Kind of in obsession mode right now. I hear there's an entire area in Universal Studio's Islands of Adventure themepark that's dedicated to the Seussical world. Kinda makes me wanna hop on a plane and go States-side...

2 comments:

Enough about me. Let's talk about you for a minute. :)