Monday, August 30, 2010

New Over Old

"When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is probably wrong."
-Arthur C. Clarke


The natural cycle of everything to move forward is to improve with the new. Old blood always fades away. It's the new, young and fresh that drives evolution, growth, and longevity. This is as true in societies as in nature. This particular entry of Seth Godin struck me after I read it, and it made me look internally in the "societies" I belong to.

The Filipino mentality is stuck on old blood. Please don't take this against me but it's true. People just a few year my senior, say 15 & above, are on a power-trip and they're making everything stuck. I'm not discounting the fact that those people have significantly contributed something to whatever tribe they belong to but in order for things to move on and up, take the risk and bank on US.

We're the new blood, we've got grand ideas of our own. Don't stifle, don't suffocate. We're too young to wither and die. You're not. I'm not saying die now, we still need your guidance. We're not so arrogant to think we can do this by ourselves, but you can't think of us as simple corporada slaves and information farmers. We perfected powerpoint presentations and excel forms years ago. Let's move on to listening to our stance. It's highly likely that we're more tech-savvy than you, more connected to your target market. And we can move faster 'cause we have zero symptoms of rheumatism.

I know this sounds like an angry blog, and it slightly is. I'm not talking about any one society in particular. I'm talking about everything! Governance, business, education, even the home! And it's tiring. We're stuck. Here's a simple solution: listen to what we have to say. Seriously. Don't fake it with TV ads that only reel in sponsorship cash for you. Not with quickie "GAs" that hardly disseminate information and leave 3 minutes for Q&A. Trust that this new blood is smarter, just as smart as you once were when you were the new blood.

To say "out with the old and in with the new" may be harsh. But it's true.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Enough about me. Let's talk about you for a minute. :)