Monday, August 2, 2010

What's your cause?

Have you ever seen this video...

It's by Daughtry. Yes. American Idol runner-up Chris Daughtry and his co-named band.

No, I'm not a Daughtry fan, but I am a fan of whoever produced this video. I think I first saw it... oh, I dunno, years ago; likely a few months after Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans. I cried after watching it the first time. It's so moving, heartbreaking, unnerving. It's makes you think about... what do I stand for?

What's my cause? I don't have one. Yet. I thought my cause would be to run races that supported issues I believed in, but I don't think that's enough. As an able-bodied member of the human society, I have a responsibility to be a good steward of... something: another person, another life, a movement to save the planet, a movement to stop excessive waste, anything.

Seth Godin once said "If you're reading this (post of his) thru a laptop, smartphone, or an e-Reader, it means you're likely to be better off than others. Now, what are you going to do with that advantage?" Granted he was talking about being a linchpin, I think this came from the introduction of his "The Insubordinate" e-book, but he could very well have been talking about social responsibility.

It's not an excuse to say we're only trying to make ends meet at this point, because with all the millions of things that need to be done, money isn't the issue anymore. Sometimes, those in need just need a good support system, someone with time in their hands, someone who'll volunteer freely and unconditionally, someone who'll listen, someone who'll just be there.

I'm taking my stand. Instead of running this Saturday at U.P., I am choosing to attend this:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/event.php?eid=138212016210037
I'm not yet sure who this group is, I was invited to be part of the feeding program only by a former colleague but I can learn more about it on Saturday.

You know that empty feeling you sometimes get... you can fill it up by giving back. Find your cause. It'll be a worthy search.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Enough about me. Let's talk about you for a minute. :)